One of the most versatile image editing programs available for photographers is Adobe Lightroom. It's is a fully equipped image editor, photo catalog librarian, and all-round workhorse. A great feature of Lightroom is the ability to create post-processing "Presets", and today we're giving away an exclusive bundle of 15 presets to Photo Premium subscribers!
Didn't hear about Photo Premium? You can find out more here. It's an additional, in-depth article, published each week just for our Premium subscribers (on top of all our regular free content!)
Lights, Camera, Actions!
Any modification you make in Lightroom - whether to exposure, split toning, filters, or anything else - can be saved as a preset and re-applied to any image.
Photoshop users who like to use Actions will be happy to know that many creators of some of the most popular Photoshop actions also have created Lightroom versions. Many Lightroom users also share and trade actions online that can be downloaded, and used by photographers everywhere.
This means that creating experimental, time consuming, and creative effects only needs to be done once, saved, and applied to any image for a quick and easy adjustment. In my own workflow I use my own custom presets regularly, which saves me time, and more importantly gives my images a consistent look, tonal depth, and range of tones that my work is known for.
The image below shows just how many options one has to experiment with and tweak:
Exclusively for Premium subscribers, Michael has made 15 of his own custom presets available for download.
These presets adjust settings and colour to create different mood effects. Those included in this pack work to soften the highlights in your image, bring up the shadow areas, and add a warm cold mix of tones across the dynamic range of your images. These are presets I have created to work primarily with people, and portraits.
Here are a few notes on each preset:
- Purple Haze for Days is all about color. This preset will add a heavy vignette around your frame and color your image with a mix of purple, and chestnut tones.
- Warm Day for Coldnight beings a warm gradient up through the lower portion of the frame, and an exposure decrease working from top to bottom. This preset also has a warmer overall tone to it.
- Hue Heffner is another awesome color preset. I added a mega 70's split tone, bright color grads, and a touch of sharpening to make this one sing.
- The Boys and Girls presets offer similar bright, clipped highlight and light shadow black and white conversions. The difference is that the Girls has a stronger purple mix to the shadows.
- The Cooler brings a type cross-processed look to your image by adding yellow/greenish tones in the highlights, and purple tones to the shadows. Sharpening, warm and cold gradients from top and bottom add a little more interest to this preset.
- Centre Sharpness is a preset that brightens, warms up, darkens the side edges, and adds sharpness to the centre of the image.
- I've also included various split-tones and other presets, but you can get more of an idea about them by simply installing them, and trying them out.
Quick Installation Instructions
To install presets:
- Unzip the preset zip file on to your desktop
- Go to the Develop module in Lightroom.
- Go to the Presets panel on the left. Right click anywhere in it and choose “Import".
- Select the individual .lrtemplate files you unzipped in the first step and click Import./li>
Here are a few examples of the type of effects these bundled presets produce. There are a full fifteen bundled in the complete pack!
Join Premium and Expand Your Photography Knowledge!
These fantastic Lightroom presets are available to every Tuts+ subscriber, and will help you to quickly and easily add impressive, yet subtle, post-processing effects to your own images.
For those unfamiliar, the family of Tuts+ sites runs a premium membership service. For $19 per month, you gain access to exclusive premium tutorials, screencasts, and freebies from Phototuts+, Nettuts+, Psdtuts+, Cgtuts+, Activetuts+, Aetuts+, Audiotuts+, and Vectortuts+! For the price of a pizza, you’ll learn from some of the best minds in the business.
What Do You Want to See on Premium?
Is there a specific technical aspect of photography that you really want to learn more about? How about a very advanced technique that you could never quite grasp fully?
We really want to make our Premium content as relevant and useful to you as possible, so do send through your comments and requests to email@example.com. Let us know what you want to see, and we'll commission top-notch photographers to teach you!