Start a hosting plan from $3.92/mo and get a free year on Tuts+ (normally $180)
As is the case towards the end of each year, Christmas fever starts to build as shops and online stores look to draw you in to spend your well earned cash on a huge variety of gift options. However, do not fret, as Phototuts+ is here to ease your gift buying headache and offer you this simple and inspiring list of gift ideas for the photographer in your life.
1. The Nikon D3X is an industry standard pro-level DSLR for the highest quality images, but will set you back $6,918 for just the body.
2.The Canon EOS 5D MkIII is a professional camera that produces stunning images through it’s full frame sensor at a meaty $4,099.
3. The Sony A77 has an impressive 24.3MP resolution, electronic viewfinder and high speed shooting, all for $1,698.
4. The Pentax K-5 is a compact and durable camera that produces high quality images in low light, available for $1,262.
5. The Canon EOS Rebel T3i, a prosumer level camera for those looking for good quality images at the very affordable price of $599.
Mid Range Cameras
1. The stylish Fujifilm X100 comes in at a the pro-level price of $1,199. It looks stunning and delivers amazing results.
2. The robust Olympus OMD is a mirco four thirds camera styled to look like older Olympus SLRs. It features a touchscreen display and comes in at $1,099.
3. The brand new Canon EOS M is Canon’s entry into the compact interchangeable lens market with an optional mount for all your EF lenses. It's practical, portable and accessible at $799.
4. The innovative Lumix G1 caught the industries attention a couple of years back upon it’s launch and is still proving very popular with consumers at a decent $599.
5. The highly affordable Nikon J1 competes with any other interchangeable lens compact and will save you a few dollars at $396.
6. The minuscule Pentax Q is the ultimate in portable digital camera technology. Cute and cool at $387.
Medium Format Cameras
1. The gorgeous Hassleblad H4D-50 comes in at a whopping $22,995, but delivers almost incomparable image quality.
2. Every photographer dreams of one day owning a Leica and the Leica S2 competes with the Hassleblad at $22,995, although you’ll need to have behaved extremely well this year for Santa to bring you one of these!
3. The far more affordable Pentax 645D gives you the option to enter the medium format world at a slightly more feasible $8,796.
1. The professional standard, the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 is a wide angle zoom lens that offers superior image quality, but comes at a price, $1,889.
2. The Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 is an affordable lens that offers a wide zoom range, a good lens to have in your kit bag at only $199.
3. This nifty fifty, the Canon 50mm f1.8, is a great lens to have in your armory, ready for those lovely shallow depth of field moments for just $102.
4. A bit of fun, the Holga 60mm f/8 for Nikon DSLR is a plastic lens made to fit your digital SLR to get those Lomo type shots without the film. Grab one for $24.99.
1. The professional level Canon 580ex Speedlite comes in at a cool $579, but as a photographer, what’s more important than being able to get the lighting right in your photographs?
2. This very reasonably priced Sigma EF-610 for Nikon goes to show that at $225, you don’t have to break the bank to own a great flashgun.
3. For those looking to add that extra burst of light, the Nikon SB-400 is perfect and is accessible to most at $114.
4. Want to buy your first flashgun but can’t afford the brand options? Then this Bower SFD35C at $59 is for you.
5. Controlling the light in your shots is vital, and with these CowboyStudio NPT-04’s, you’ll be setting up off camera flash units instantly. $29 well spent.
1. Keeping your camera safe and dry is essential, and what better way to do it than in this stylish Billingham Hadley bag at $232.
2. The more practical Lowepro Fastpack 250 has space for camera bodies, lenses and your laptop and costs only $76.
3. This Canon 2400 SLR Bag comes in at a very affordable $30 and does the job perfectly.
4. If you’re looking for a carry case for your SLR, you can really go wrong with the CaseLogic SLRC-201 at $23.
1. Claimed to be the strongest and most stable tripod ever, the Induro Carbon CT-114 offers you everything you want in a tripod, but will cost you a cool $339.
2. From a leading name in tripod manufacturing, the Manfrotto 055X delivers all you’d expect from a Manfrotto tripod for just $139.
3. An entry level tripod such as the Velbon CX300 won’t be the sturdiest tripod on the market, but will allow you to enter into the world of long exposures for just $39.99.
4. The extremely handy Joby GorillaPod ensures you don’t have to risk leaving your camera on a wet rock to get that self timer shots any longer, for just $11.99.
1. For those looking to enter the videography world, a sturdy shoulder rig like the ePhoto Shoulder Camera Rig is essential, and only $210.
2. It’s important to remember that for video, audio is just important as the visuals, so investing in a microphone such as the Rode Directional Condenser Video Mic w/Mount at just $145 is a good move.
3. Added accessories such as this Flashpoint LCD Foldaway 3x Magnification Viewfinder will make your life a lot easier for just $62.
4. As with stills, ensuring you have enough light is of paramount importance, so investing in something like the Neewer CN-126 LED Light would be $33 well spent.
Gifts & Accessories
1. Time lapse photography can produce stunning results, but you don’t always want to leave your expensive kit in compromising situations, but the answer is here in the form of the Brinno Time Lapse Camera at just $199.
2. This very fun digital camera that produces prints just like the old polaroids, the Polaroid Z2300 is a great gift idea for just $160.
3. These Sunprint / Pinhole Camera Kits provide hours of fun and will help you learn the basics of light and photography for only $25.
4. For those on the move who want to edit on the go, the 5 in 1 Card Reader for iPad will make your life an awful lot easier.
5. Having trouble keeping your shots straight? Then the Hot Shoe Spirit Level is the answer for just $15!
6. For the iPhoneography enthusiast, the Holga iPhone Lens Kit is a must have at only $25.
Happy Holidays from Phototuts+
We wish you and yours a wonderful holiday season filled with family, friends and lot of photography. If you have any great gift ideas on your shopping list (or maybe you're wish list), please let us know in the comments!