In this video, we take a look at how best to import, convert, rename and archive digital photography files. Solutions for backing up images and working with a Digital Asset Management system are also explored. It's a great introduction to your media workflow!
Watch the Video
What to Expect
Today we're looking at how to store, backup, and protect your images while keeping them easy to find at a later date. Here's a quick look at what to expect:
- Converting to Adobe DNG
- Renaming Files
- Archiving to DVD and Hard Drive
- Digital Asset Management Software
It's worth noting that this is the setup that works for me. It might be a little overkill for your needs, but I hope that you'll find the video useful and pick up a few new ideas!
What is Your Workflow?
Does your digital archiving workflow include a few different or original steps? We would be fascinated to hear how you manage the process - feel free to share in the comments!
- CodeCreating a WordPress Theme from Static HTML: Adding Featured ImagesDifficulty:IntermediateCompletion Time:MediumYou've now worked through a number of steps to create a WordPress theme from static HTML files. Specifically, we've looked covered the following: preparing your markup for WordPress converting your HTML to PHP and splitting your file into template files editing the stylesheet and uploading your theme to WordPress adding a loop to your index file adding meta tags, the wp_head hook and the site title and description to your header file adding a navigation menu adding widget areas to the header and sidebar adding widget areas, a colophon and the wp_footer hook to the footer file creating template files for static pages creating an archive template file. Your theme now has a template file for displaying archive pages, but at the moment it's not displaying images properly. In this tutorial, you'll learn how to add featured image support to your theme and how to display and style them in your archive template.Read More…
- Mac Computer SkillsAlfred Workflows for IntermediatesDifficulty:IntermediateCompletion Time:Medium
- CodeCreating a WordPress Theme from Static HTML: Creating an Archive TemplateDifficulty:IntermediateIf you've been working your way through this series, you now have a functioning theme with two page templates. The steps I've demonstrated to this point are: preparing your markup for WordPress converting your HTML to PHP and splitting your file into template files editing the stylesheet and uploading your theme to WordPress adding a loop to your index file adding meta tags, the wp_head hook and the site title and description to your header file adding a navigation menu adding widget areas to the header and sidebar adding widget areas, a colophon and the wp_footer hook to the footer file creating template files for static pages. Read More…
- Design & IllustrationInterview With Julia Kuzmenko McKimJulia Kuzmenko McKim is a beauty, fashion and portrait photographer, digital artist, retoucher, and educator, currently residing in Los Angeles. Recently, I had a chance to talk with McKim, who has become really well known for her work in photography and retouching. During the interview, we talked a bit about her workflow, her preferred file formats, the gear that she uses on the road, how to build stronger relationships with clients, as well as how to break down the "knowledge protection wall," that prevents many artists from sharing their favorite tips and techniques with others. Let's take a look!Read More…
- Mac Computer SkillsAlfred Workflows for BeginnersDifficulty:BeginnerCompletion Time:MediumEver since Alfred 2.0 was in beta, I have been making Alfred workflows for myself and for others. It is a lot of fun and very helpful to my daily workflow. I usually average using Alfred around 130 times a day, with my peak day of 768 times. I am going to show you the basic concepts of workflow design in this tutorial, all the way to the very advanced features that you can use in your own workflows in later tutorials. So, come join the fun!Read More…