It's almost Halloween, so dust off your tacky ornaments and your weird and wonderful costumes and start getting into the spooky spirit. Here, we have five of our favourite Halloween-themed assets for photo and video, as well as some of our top tips, to help your project have maximum impact.
Freak out your friends and family by turning them (or you!) into a scary-looking vampire. The Adobe Photoshop action pack contains ten options so you can play around with the result to get something a little different every time.
Who doesn’t love pumpkins? They’re adorable, and whether you just like eating them in the autumn, or prefer to carve out your own lantern, they’re a big part of this time of year for many of us. Try Pumpkin’s Brush font to add some fun to your autumnal projects this year.
Add a touch of mystery to your Halloween project with these brushes for Photoshop. There are 26 to choose from, including grave markers, pumpkins and witches.
Clowns. Urgh. The perfect, creepy Halloween frightener, use this Photoshop action to turn portraits into clowns. It comes with ten different colour options, but who cares: anything you choose will be seriously creepy.
With a spooky old horror movie look and more modern, colourful options too, the Halloween Special Promo for Adobe After Effects is the perfect intro or promo to your fun, themed movie.
Each asset here is from Envato Elements, where you can download unlimited resources for a monthly subscription.
Tuts+ Tips for Halloween Images
- Use props. There’s so much fun stuff around at Halloween, don’t be afraid to go wild when you’re dressing your set.
- Get to grips with using ISO effectively and also utilising flash. Chances are, you’ll be shooting in low light conditions.
- Capture details. It doesn’t matter whether you’re shooting a kids’ Halloween party or filming a spooky cemetery, remember to pick up some close-up shots, too.
- Autumn is full of gorgeous colours, but don’t be afraid to experiment with black and white, too. Those high-contrast shots can really emphasise the spooky!
- Play with long exposures to create ‘ghost’ pictures!
Bonus Tutorial: How to Make a Zombie Portrait in Photoshop
In this short lesson, learn how to quickly turn any portrait (even your pets!) into a scary zombie using a Photoshop action.
More Halloween Help
You can take a big Halloween shortcut by downloading some of the free spooky video clips on Mixkit to use in your next video. Or try one of these tutorials:
Subscribe below and we’ll send you a weekly email summary of all new Photo & Video tutorials. Never miss out on learning about the next big thing.Update me weekly