You'll often hear that overcast days are great for photography because the light is soft and shadows are nicely filled. However, it's more appropriate to say that cloudy days give you the best starting point for images. Straight out of the camera, these images can lack contrast, saturation and look pretty terrible. In today's tutorial, we want to show you how to take advantage of that wonderful soft light otherwise dreary days can provide.
In this tutorial, you'll learn five techniques for working with photos made under overcast light:
- Emphasizing Bold Colors with Contrast
- Adding Drama with Boosted Black and Selective Contrast
- Split Toning in Black and White
- Color Manipulation with LAB Curves
- Searching Out Interesting Light in Dull Conditions
Watch the Video
Thoughts or questions? Leave a comment below!