Documentary making requires a mix of skills and talents; how best to put together the footage and material you've gather is one of the biggest hurdles to overcome. In this article, we’ve collected five of the best After Effects templates from Envato Elements to help documentary filmmakers make the most of of their productions.
Gentle and with a hint of nostalgia, Shadows of Memories is a slideshow template for Adobe After Effects. This would work as an intro to a larger project, or even a short slideshow for social media sharing.
If you want to demonstrate searches in your documentary, filming the screen or even screencasting can be time-consuming and hard to get right. Try the Internet Search Engine Screen Close-Up template for After Effects for a quick and easy search; just change the text.
In documentaries, you often want to show figures and statistics and layering b-roll with that can be either inappropriate or distract from what you’re trying to convey. The Statistician Massive Info Graphics Kit for Adobe After Effects is the perfect way to show your data clearly.
Stylish Titles & Thirds for After Effects is a simple template with a modern look. You can present your information without taking focus away from your subject matter.
Similar to Shadows of Time, above, History Time is a documentary slideshow by the same author, for After Effects. Particularly suited to historical pieces, this slideshow template has a retro style without feeling gimmicky.
Each asset here is from Envato Elements, where you can download unlimited resources for a monthly subscription.
Tuts+ Tips for Documentary Makers
- Tell a story. All documentaries benefit from interesting subject matter, but even a good story told in a dry way can bore your audience to tears. Treat it like you would fiction, and weave a compelling narrative.
- Make a shoot list and remember to include B-roll.
- Get your sound right. People are more likely to put up with bad visuals than they are with bad audio.
- Write a script, even if you’re not planning to have a voice over. It will help you plan out your narrative effectively.
- Remember to have your paperwork in order. Particularly in Europe, where GDPR has just come into effect, getting someone to sign a release is integral.
More Documentary Resources
Envato Tuts+ tutorials are translated into other languages by our community members—you can be involved too!Translate this post