Creating a beautiful transition has never been easier! With Mixkit you are able to downloaded from the free, curated library of template. You don’t even need to create an account or provide any personal information, it's all just free to use. In this tutorial we learn Colourful Transition, a great free template for Premiere Pro, with a step-by-step guide and examples.
In this tutorial we’ll be taking a look at Arturs Jasins’ Colourful Transition template, a simple colour transition that slips between clips. It features soft orbs of light that pull inwards to the middle of the frame.
The templates featured on Mixkit are easy-to-use and feature a minimalist approach to adjustable parameters. That being said, they are a fantastic as a jumping off point for your projects.
Colourful Transition, a Free Premiere Pro Template
Go ahead a download Colourful Transition. Here’s how to import your template to use with an existing project:
- Open your existing project
- This template is set to 1920x1080 resolution by default, so adjust your resolution if needed
- From the Premiere Pro main menu, select File > Import
- Browse to the location for the mixkit-402prproj file, select it and click Open
- Select the parts you wish to import and click OK
With this template you’ll be prompted with a missing media error asking you to locate the Bokeh Transition file. Ignore this and click cancel. The file doesn’t exist (it’s the footage for the demo) and will not effect your ability to use the template.
This is a simple drag and drop template with no customization so using it is easy-as-pie! There is one setting you’ll need to adjust so that you can removing the missing media file overlay. Uncheck “insert and overwrite sequences as nests or individual clips”(see screen shot)
All that's left to do is to add your own clips to and place the transition where you see fit.
Use Tips for Colourful Transition
Here are a few tips on how to get the most out of this transition template:
- Use at least one clip that has a similar colour profile to transitio—the first clip works better if you only had one to choose from. This will help make the template feel less noticeable.
- Use this transition with clips that have natural bokeh or light leaks. This is a similar idea as above.
- Use a combination of clips that contrast in tone. Try going from a bright clip to something darker.
- Try using this template with clips that have shallow depth of field.
- Experiment and see what you like. There isn’t a right or wrong application. If you like it, there’s a good chance others will too!
I made an quick example using many of the tips above, check it out:
I hope using Colour Transition works for your project! Mixkit is an amazing source for free templates for Premiere Pro.
3 Top Premium Premiere Pro Templates
Free stuff is great, but sometimes you might want to use a template with a little bit more complexity or specilization.
Check out the of premium templates at Envato Elements, a stock service with millions of creative assets. Here are three examples:
This is an extremely popular pack, and it boasts over 400 transitions to choose from. With four choices of speed and each one with its own unique sound, you’ll be able to bring style and excitement to all of your videos. This pack features an easy drag-and-drop method and comes with a video tutorial to get you started.
Lexel presents the RGB Transitions Pack which features six types types of transitions along with forty different transitions to choose from. With this pack your image has a slight separation of the colour spectrum we commonly associate with VHS videos. A great pack for those interested in high-action and sports projects.
Light leaks are quickly becoming an essential graphic in the video tool kit. Add lens flare and and elegant like leaks to your timeline; whether you are editing a music video or wanting to add dimension to your sci-fi movie, this pack has you covered. It also has a handy drag and drop method and features full colour control.
That's it! I hope you've enjoyed following along. If you are interested, check out these articles to learn more.
- VideoHow to Make a Motion Opener: Text Animation in Premiere Pro (Free Template)André Bluteau
- Video15 Top YouTube Intro (Opener) Templates for Premiere ProAndré Bluteau
- VideoHow to Make a Video Slideshow in Adobe Premiere ProMarie Gardiner
- VideoHow to Export Video From Premiere Pro (For Best Results)Marie Gardiner
More Resources From Envato
Read the Envato Video Marketing Guide
Boost your video marketing skills with our comprehensive guide: You'll learn video marketing from start to finish.
Download Free Video Assets From Mixkit
Make a Motion Graphics Video Online With PlaceIt
You don't need professional software to create visually-appealing videos, you can make them right in your browser: PlaceIt is an online service with a video maker uses professionally-designed motion graphics templates.
Envato Elements: Unlimited Downloads
Envato Elements offers millions of stock items: photos, music, video clips, fonts, video project templates for After Effects, Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro and Motion, and creative courses from Envato Tuts+, all with a single subscription.
Envato Tuts+ tutorials are translated into other languages by our community members—you can be involved too!Translate this post